[Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage project launch/migration update

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Nov 12 03:57:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
<rodrigo.argenton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Soo... We need to restart de pt.wikivoyage.org? One of the biggest
> projects?????? This is true?? 2000 articles, importing by hand???

Hi Rodrigo,

we were only able to import languages from Wikivoyage where dumps were
prepared and pre-processed by the Wikivoyage-folks (who are, BTW, all
volunteers and have done amazing work on this). So all the languages
from wikivoyage-old.org were imported. We can't support additional
case-by-case dump imports and pre-processing because the process is
pretty complex and error-prone. Additional near-term tech effort we
spend on Wikivoyage will be focused on fixing remaining site issues,
of which there are quite a few.

So yeah, articles would have to be manually copied and attributed via
template. :( But perhaps LangCom would make an exception to quickly
approve blank wikis for languages where it seems likely that there's a
viable community, so at least the incubator step could be skipped.

Erik
--
Erik Möller