[Wikimedia-l] Democratizing the Wikimedia Foundation

Patricio Lorente patricio.lorente at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 12:47:50 UTC 2012

2012/11/3 Ilario Valdelli <valdelli en gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Patricio Lorente <patricio.lorente en gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> > think along and bring the proposals to the board when the time is there
>> > (Alice, Kat, Patricio, SJ, and Ting: I'm looking at you) but of course
>> I'm
>> > counting on it that also other board members will support the thought
>> > behind this. Any input on how to make this process more constructive
>> would
>> > be appreciated. I also hope that the legal team will be watching the page
>> > and advise when something is legally impossible and how it could be made
>> > possible.
>>
>> > I hope that our community selected board members will take this up as
>> well,
>> Hi Lodewijk! I really appreciate this initiative -although I think the
>> subject does not make too much sense: it would be better "Improving
>> governance", perhaps-. Anyway, it will be an important input for us.
>>
>>                                                         Patricio
>>

> Or may be... "improving transparency"?
>
> Governance is not transparency, governance is "controlling".

Hi Ilario!

"Improving transparency" is far better that "Democratizing WMF",
though governance is not about "controlling": is about decision making
procceses, guidance, communications... in fact, is also about
transparency :)

Anyway, despite the title we choose, I really think that this
discussion is necessary, and that we need to improve (or even to set
up) some basic rules and procedures of interaction and decision
making.

                                                        Patricio

--
Patricio Lorente