[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia blog contributions; make participation invitation more obvious

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Fri Nov 2 18:20:49 UTC 2012

Sarah Stierch wrote:
> I'm not sure why it was posted on the WMF blog. I'm sure if other
> countries submitted their top ten's they'd be posted to the WMF blog.
>
> Remember: anyone in the movement - around the world - can write a blog
> for the WMF blog, in any language they want. So do it!

I'm going to fork this thread as I think this point should be highlighted.

Currently, looking at <https://blog.wikimedia.org/>, I'm not sure it's
obvious at all that anyone in the Wikimedia community is encouraged to draft
a blog post. As far as I can see, there's no "submit a post" or "contribute
your own story" or other invitation to participation anywhere on the blog.

Even adapting the Creative Commons license note in the sidebar might work.
"This blog is licensed under blah blah. You can submit your own draft of an
article here!" or something.

I'm as big a fan of security through obscurity as anyone, but it does
occasionally help to give people a decent pointer to a page such as
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Blog#Drafting_a_post>. Currently,
it looks like there _is_ a "Guidelines" link in the sidebar, but it's
painfully buried in the left-hand sidebar's list of links and its target
(<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Blog/Guidelines>) is a wall of
text.

I'm not sure who could resolve this issue or how it's best tracked. I guess
via filing a bug in Bugzilla? If there's a central point of contact for the
blog, it'd be great to know who that is.

MZMcBride