[Wikimedia-l] Board vote on narrowing focus

Tilman Bayer tbayer at wikimedia.org
Fri Nov 2 15:45:38 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> Samuel Klein, 02/11/2012 16:01:
>
>  * Institutional support for the GLAM related activities in the US (until
>>> the US Federation is fully functional, if ever)
>>>

>> I agree there is room for a global GLAM support for regions that don't
>> have
>> local [chapter] organization.  Why do you feel this is a special problem
>> for the US, compared to other archive-rich parts of the world - given the
>> two regional chapters and numerous present and past Wikipedians in
>> residence?
>>

> The problem is always the same, i.e. that the WMF acts as WM-USA while a
> chapter is missing, rather than being truly global.
> Random (unfair?) recent example: WLM-USA uses the allegedly global
> "Wikimedia blog" <https://blog.wikimedia.org/**2012/10/31/wiki-loves-**
> monuments-us-top-ten-photos-**announced/<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/10/31/wiki-loves-monuments-us-top-ten-photos-announced/>>
> unlike all the other national editions.
> But perhaps Lodewijk meant something else.

I'm a bit confused about precisely what damage that blog post has done in
your opinion. As noted on http://wikilovesmonuments.us/ , the US WLM
finalists were also announced on Commons, and on the other hand the blog
features a lot of posts from volunteers and chapters (see e.g the
subsequent post
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/10/31/the-expansion-of-wikimedia-sverige/ ,
draft blog posts can be submitted on Meta:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Blog ).

BTW, a lot of the organizing work for Wiki Loves Monuments in the US was
done by three volunteer Wikimedians who also happen to be WMF employees
(Kaldari, Sarah and Matthew), but did this in their spare time.

--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)