[Wikimedia-l] TVTropes deletes all pages with "Rape" in title under advertising pressure.

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 20:07:02 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 8:48 PM, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps the next time someone brings up the "WMF should accept ads!"
> bit, we can point back to this thread to explain why when we respond
> "That would be the end of neutrality," we are not exaggerating.

I've always been against ads, but as far as I am concerned, the illusion of
an NPOV project ended with the SOPA strike, and Jimbo's current exploits
around O'Dwyer (who I agree should not be extradited, but doh, that is not
the point ...) just underscore that.

That's how the press see it, too -- even the supportive press -- referring
to "political interventions", and "setting the vaunted principle of
neutrality aside":

---o0o---

Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales has made a rare *political intervention* to
call on Theresa May to stop the extradition of British student Richard
O'Dwyer to the US for alleged copyright offences.

Wales was at the forefront of the campaign against the Sopa and Pipa bills
aimed at enforcing online copyright more vigorously, which many warned
would threaten sites at the core of the internet: Google, Wikipedia and
others. With other senior editors, Wales *set aside for the first time
Wikipedia's vaunted principle of neutrality*, blacking out the online
encyclopedia for a day as a warning of the consequences of too-strict
copyright enforcement.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/24/wikipedia-founder-richard-odwyer-extradition-stopped?newsfeed=true

---o0o---

Besides, the ones putting pressure on TV Tropes, and who made them take the
pages down, are Google.

That is the same Google who are a major financial contributor to Wikimedia.