[Wikimedia-l] Copyright information not digitised?

Mark delirium at hackish.org
Sun Jun 24 09:15:06 UTC 2012

While I'm also interested in looking into this, for *images* in
particular I think it's quite difficult. They're often used in books and
journals by permission of the photographer, so the fact that the
book/journal's copyright wasn't renewed doesn't necessarily mean the
photographs in the book/journal are now public domain. You'd also have
to check that the photographer didn't separately register/renew a
copyright on the photo. And, since photos don't typically have
convenient names or IDs to use for lookup, it can be pretty hard to check.

-Mark