[Wikimedia-l] Who invoked "principle of least surprise" for the image filter?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Jun 21 21:41:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
> But in practice, we do have photos of
> victims at articles such as [[Rape of Nanking]] and [[Holocaust]].
> Some of those photos are extremely disturbing. That's because the
> articles are about extremely disturbing subjects.

So legal + no "consensus" to delete = keep.

Fortunately "consensus" doesn't mean consensus.  Unfortunately, it
means something closer to mob rule.

>>  An article on marriage would show a video of a
>> marriage's consummation.
>
> No, it wouldn't. The consummation of a marriage is tangentially
> relevant. Photos of weddings and married couples in various cultures
> would be much more relevant. The meaning of "consummation" should be
> briefly touched on, but would not need anywhere near enough detail to
> be an illustrated section.

Why not?  The consummation of a marriage certainly deserves a section
in an adult version of an encyclopedia article on marriage.  I don't
think there should be a photograph of a consummation in Wikipedia, but
then I don't think there should be an photograph of a rape in
Wikipedia either, even in an adult version.  (For one thing, neither
illustration would do anything to enhance one's knowledge of the
topic.)

But what if some people want a photo and some don't?  No "consensus",
so we leave the photo in, right?

>> An article on Russian roulette would show
>> someone playing it. And so forth.
>
> Given that it's illegal in many areas, I would not hold out a high
> likelihood of us seeing someone voluntarily release a video of it. But
> let us presume that someone did. Isn't that exactly what the article
> is about?

Yes, it's exactly what the article is about.

But the article being about something does not mean there should be a
video of it.

Again, I don't see what a video adds to ones understanding of the topic.

>> This argument is not motivated by a desire to educate, or by educational
>> competence for that matter.
>
> Andreas, I realize we disagree on this in a lot of ways, but I think
> anyone who works on this project has a desire to educate.

Well, no, not everyone who works on "this project" does.  But the
personal attack on you was inappropriate.