[Wikimedia-l] CheckUser openness

James Forrester james at jdforrester.org
Fri Jun 15 18:58:35 UTC 2012

On 15 June 2012 04:55, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Supposedly, the data only survives 3 months. If data is being
> retained much longer than this for "investigations" that go on for months
> on the checkuser wiki, that's concerning.

We have well-known trolls and repeat vandals who have been coming back
to the various wiki communities for many years - in some cases, for
nearly a decade now. Why is it "concerning" to you that the people
responsible for detecting, tracking and defeating these individuals
keep track of these users and their work over time (whilst of course
always being within the Privacy and CheckUser policies)?

Yours,
--
James D. Forrester
jdforrester at gmail.com
[[Wikipedia:User:Jdforrester|James F.]] (speaking purely in a personal capacity)