[Wikimedia-l] Myth Busted Re: TomTom does a Britannica

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 2 12:07:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 08:08:21AM -0400, Anthony wrote:
> The difference is that Wikipedia is usable in the real world, whereas
> OSM, for the most part, is not.

OSMAndroid is fully usable for satnav in the real world.
It includes enough data on streets, buildings and POI's to
find what you need. You can download maps so you don't
need a network connection for maps; and recent upgrades
also allow one to do routing on the local CPU, so you
can use your android phone just like a tomtom, except
with OSM map data ;-)

When eg. playing tourist in Italy, this worked perfectly for me.

I'm going to say that this myth is busted ;-)

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning