[Wikimedia-l] conversations between WMF and non-English projects

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 17:06:16 UTC 2012

phoebe ayers, 30/07/2012 18:52:
> I'm not sure if in the long term focusing on specific language
> communities and recruiting fellows is the sustainable answer for the
> WMF -- actually I'm pretty sure it isn't -- but I also don't think it
> can hurt to try and build a deep (and as Amir notes cross-project
> translated) analysis of how different communities work, and this work
> will provide the basis for thinking about project comparisons. This is
> one of the deep gaps in the current Wikipedia research, too, and I'd
> love to see either the WMF or the research community (or both) do some
> deeper work into analyzing classes of projects as well as individual
> projects -- do very small Wikipedias share a set of needs? What about
> medium-sized ones? Do Asian-language projects share concerns or
> similar community structures? etc etc.

For instance I'd like to understand who decided that no editor survey
for non-Wikipedias will ever be made. Nobody has ever answered the
question and we're sick of asking it again. :-)
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Wikipedia_Editors_Survey_November_2011#Unanswered_questions_about_previous_survey>

Nemo