[Wikimedia-l] Upcoming Survey, Feedback requested, and Office Hour

Christine Moellenberndt christinemoe at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 05:28:57 UTC 2012

*Hi everyone,

It's been a bit since I last emailed this list (or any list, for that
matter!)... you may remember me, I worked at the Foundation last year in
the Community Department, working with Philippe on any number of issues,
as well as with the OTRS team.  I've come back to work on a short term
project with the Foundation, and I have to say it's great to be back!
(and a great break from my Master's thesis!)

We're getting ready to run the next version of the Editor Survey, for
August 2012. This will be the third incarnation we've run since 2011.
  As with the prior incarnations of the survey, we'll be looking at a
variety of topics, this time with the goal of not only understanding
your needs and pressing issues while interacting with fellow editors,
but also focusing on editors' satisfaction with the work of the Foundation.

The last time we ran an editor survey, it was completed by over 6,000
respondents.  When you break that down, it means that each minute of
time demanded by the survey corresponds to 100 hours of Wikipedians'
time.  We want to make sure that this time is spent wisely, ensuring
that the questions we have are worded clearly, don't cause confusion,
and will generate meaningful answers.  So we'd like to ask you to take a
look at the survey, and give us feedback on the questions.  You can find
them here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_August_2012/Questions
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_August_2012/Questions>
... and please leave your feedback on the talk page there so we can keep
the discussion in one place :)

You can find out more information about the survey here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_August_2012

Also, we are planning an IRC Office Hour on the survey, this **Tuesday,
July 31 at 1700 UTC.** (See
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hoursfor general information
about IRC Office hours)

I know there has been some discussion about offering Office Hours in a
broader range of times, and I know this time may not be the greatest for
some... but this was the best time we could find currently.

Thanks everyone!!

-Christine
Wikimedia Foundation*