[Wikimedia-l] Grant Advisory Committee Expanded

Asaf Bartov abartov at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 24 01:20:20 UTC 2012

Hello, everyone.

I'm pleased to announce that we have significantly expanded the Grant
Advisory Committee (GAC)[1] as of today, and it now numbers 30 volunteers,
following an open process and public calls for volunteers.  The updated
list of members is here[2].  With this expansion, we hope to achieve a
higher degree of community participation in the Foundation's evaluation of
grant proposals for its Wikimedia Grants program[3], as well as more
diverse feedback and advice for grant applicants on how to refine their
proposals for best impact.

The GAC was set up almost exactly one year ago, and has been quietly doing
what is frankly a thankless job.  I applaud and thank the volunteers who
have done this work so far, and look forward to easing their load a little
now that the GAC is larger, considering an expected rise in the number of
grant proposals they would be called upon to review.

Welcome to the new volunteers, and may we all have much success in
fostering innovation and impactful mission-aligned activities through the
grants program.

   Asaf

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grant_Advisory_Committee
[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grant_Advisory_Committee#Membership