[Wikimedia-l] Request for comment on global bans

ENWP Pine deyntestiss at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 6 09:44:55 UTC 2012

Hi Steven,

Could you explain the distinctions between
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_locks,
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_blocks, and
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_bans? These look to me like they have
some redundancy and some areas where they diverge. A chart which compares
these three side-by-side would be helpful.

Also, if Global Bans are decided by an RFC on Meta, that gives me pause. I
can envision sockpuppets and meatpuppets attempting to sabotage the process
and giving Meta checkusers more work to do, potentially much more work,
especially if WP:DUCK behaviors need to be evaluated on multiple projects in
multiple languages and/or coordination is needed with checkusers from
projects in other languages. I'm a bit more supportive of the process at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_locks which seems to involve Stewards
making the decision to take a global action based on multiple local projects
taking local actions, rather than because there was a global community RFC
at Meta. I agree with AFBorchert's comment at the RFC, "Meta is working
great for non-controversial project coordination, requests to stewards etc.
But Meta is in no way prepared to serve as a battleground for a large-scale
global ban discussion which would tend to revive previous debates at other
projects."

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm thinking that global locks and
global blocks would be the best two of the three options to deal with a user
who is problematic enough to be unwelcome on all wikis.

Thanks,

Pine