[Foundation-l] FW: [Wikitech-l] proposed tech conference anti-harassment policy

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 22:50:36 UTC 2012

On Jan 21, 2012 2:33 PM, "MZMcBride" <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> > Thanks to all of you for your feedback on this.  We've now finalized the
> > policy and it now lives at
> >
> > https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Friendly_space_policy
>
> I don't think the Volunteer Development Coordinator (or any Wikimedia
> Foundation employee) has the power or authority to institute policies like
> this, particularly Wikimedia-wide.
>
> I'm inclined to move this into Sumana's user space for now. It seems like
> straightforward policy to have, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to
have
> an accompanying Board resolution, though some of the language will
> undoubtedly need to be tweaked first.
>
> Thoughts?

If a policy makes good sense, we clearly need it, and feedback about the
text is mostly positive, then we should adopt it. Rejecting a good idea
because of process wonkery is stupid.

Sumana is not declaring that she gets to force arbitrary rules on everyone
whenever she wants. She is solving a problem for us.