[Wikimedia-l] Translation of documents [was: Request for consultation on proposed guidelines relating to potential conflicts of interest in requesting Wikimedia resources]

Christophe Henner christophe.henner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 15:27:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

Changing topic to keep the COI thread on-topic :)

I understand it's frustrating to have these texts only in english, but
could you also please try to get things from WMF perspective?

In what languages should it translated? The most spoken in the world?
The top 10 active communities? The top 10 editing community? The top
10 growing community? All of them? And if they pick 10 languages, it
won't end the moaning.

And translating all the documents in 10 or 20 languages would be quite
expensive in the end, would it be the best use of donors money?

Isn't the issue in how we organize ourselves, in the movement (and
that includes everyone from community members to wikimedia
organizations) to handle translations? Perhaps the best way to do it
would be to have an automated translating script. Wouldn't be perfect,
but it would provide a raw translation and if the community wants to
get involved they just have to fix the automatic translation.

I don't know though how hard it would be to code that kind of things?
We could perhaps use Google Translate (even if it's a paying service
it doesn't seem that expensive
https://developers.google.com/translate/v2/pricing?hl=fr)

--
Christophe