[Wikimedia-l] Banners are too bright, too long

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 02:29:50 UTC 2012

On Dec 4, 2012 7:56 PM, "Zack Exley" <zexley at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Next year, we'll discuss options and do some surveys of logged in and
> not-logged-in users and try to make a good decision about what the least
> painful way for all will be to raise the money.

Collating some good quality data would be great. Make sure you get a
statistician involved from the beginning, though - the foundation had a
history of very poorly designed surveys...

> I think that we're now in a position to raise the annual budget with very
> little user pain starting in 2013 -- perhaps the least pain is that
> everyone gets 5 banners per year that are very small and non-stick. Or
> maybe it's that everyone gets one slightly larger, sticky banner. It's
> subjective, and we need to listen to a real cross section of users about
> it.

If we can really reach our target with only one banner impression per
person per year, then a) wow! Great work! and b) you probably don't need to
worry about annoyance too much - there is a limit to how much a one-off
occurrence can annoy someone.