[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia redefined -- typography and UX and such

Richard Farmbrough richard at farmbrough.co.uk
Thu Aug 16 09:56:31 UTC 2012

Apart from using a vandalized version of [[Pyramid]] and a graphically
horrendous capital I, there are some nice elements in a generally good
layout.

The key improvement needed (and WAP has made this evident to more
people) is to stop wasting real estate on more and more nested top bars
and side bars.  Even with a modern 15.2 inch laptop many pages have
threir contents squeezed enough by the OS, browser and MW bars that
there is little room left for infoboxes, TOCs, pictures, tables  and
navboxes.

There is also a desire to "visualise" that may be applied where it is
not needed.   We do not need the interface to show us the relation
between the number of articles on arts and the number of articles on
humanities - this is not necessarily a useful statistic for researchers,
and even less so for readers.