[Wikimedia-l] reach of projects by geography

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 19:41:56 UTC 2012

Speaking of moving strategy pages to meta...

I was recently looking for the information that is contained in these pages:
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sub-Saharan_Africa
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Europe
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Middle_East_and_North_Africa
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Southeast_Asia
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/South_Asia

i.e. Wikipedia growth, by language, by geographic area.

As far as I know a) the strategy pages were the first attempt at doing
this; and b) they haven't been updated since they were created in
2009/10.

So I think it would be good to update these pages and add them to
meta, which currently has:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias_by_language_family
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias_by_language_group
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias_by_speakers_per_article
and
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias

but not as far as I can tell a geographic breakdown.

Thoughts? Suggestions on how to name the pages? Has someone already
worked on this? I realize of course that any geographic grouping is an
inexact science due to 2nd languages, world languages, diasporas, etc.
But I still think it's an interesting and important view of our global
work.

cheers,
phoebe

<at> gmail.com *