[Wikimedia-l] In the News

Matthew Roth mroth at wikimedia.org
Fri Aug 10 21:36:14 UTC 2012

This one had legs this week. Here's a sample of the coverage following the
original report on Monday by Micah Sifry at Tech President. Once Colbert
jumped in, it led to another round of coverage through today. It's also
just now getting to the British press.

-Matthew

*
*
*Wikipedia | How to Spot Romney's VP Pick in Advance*
Tech President | 6 August 2012
http://techpresident.com/news/22680/how-spot-romneys-vice-president-pick-advance

*Further coverage:*

*Political Wire | Want to guess Romney's running mate? **(6 August 2012)*
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/08/06/want_to_guess_romneys_running_mate.html

*Politico | On veep selection, look to Wikipedia (6 August 2012)*
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media
/2012/08/on-veep-selection-look-to-wikipedia-131262.html

*Politico | Why Wikipedia isn't the veep oracle (7 August 2012)*
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media
/2012/08/why-wikipedia-isnt-the-veep-oracle-131322.html

*CNN | Looking to Wikipedia for clues about Romney's VP pick*
CNN | 9 August 2012
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/07/tech/web/romney-vp-pick-wikipedia/

*HuffPo | Romney's VP pick predicted through Wikipedia edits? (7 August
2012)*
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/07/will-wikipedia-predict-ro_n_1751782.html

*Mashable | Is Wikipedia the key to predicting Mitt Romney's VP? (7 August
2012)*
http://mashable.com/2012/08/07/wikipedia-romney-vice-president/

*Salt Lake Tribune | Will Wikipedia be a harbinger of Romney's VP pick? (7
August 2012)*
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsmoviecricket/54648634-66/wikipedia-pick-romney-presidential.html.csp

*Wikipedia | **Game Over: Wikipedia locks down potential VP pages in
response to Colbert mischief making*
Tech President | 8 August 2012
http://techpresident.com/news/22695/game-over-wikipedia-locks-down-potential-vp-pages-response-colbert-mischief-making

*Further coverage:*

*Politico | Wikipedia locks potential VP's pages (8 August 2012)*
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media
/2012/08/wikipedia-locks-possible-vps-pages-131458.html

*NYTimes The Caucus | Romney's running mate? Some say Wikipedia holds the
answer*
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/romneys-running-mate-some-say-wikipedia-holds-the-answer/

*LA Times | Possible VP picks' Wikipedia pages locked down amid editing
spree (8 August 2012)*
http://ur1.ca/9xhyw

*The Hill | Wikipedia locks down pages of VP contenders after excessive
edits (8 August 2012)*
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/242789-wikipedia-locks-down-pages-of-vp-contenders-after-excessive-edits

*ABC News | Colbert causes Wikipedia to lock down potential VP pages (9
August 2012)*
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/colbert-causes-wikipedia-to-lock-down-potential-vp-pages/

*HuffPo | Colbert's Pawlenty Wikipedia Prank (8 August 2012)*
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/colbert-pawlenty-wikipedia-romney-running-mate_n_1756205.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/wikipedia-romney-vp-stephen-colbert_n_1757554.html

*The Hollywood Reporter | Stephen Colbert's Wikipedia vice presidential
scheme short cirucuited (8 August 2012)*
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/stephen-colberts-wikipedia-vice-presidential-359985

*USA Today | Wikipedia locks the pages for potential Romney VPs (8 August
2012)*
http://ur1.ca/9xhyt

*Daily Mail | Wikipedia locks editing access... (8 August 2012)*
http://ur1.ca/9xhyr

 *The Toronto Star | Wikipedia protects US vice presidential pages... (9
August 2012)*
http://ur1.ca/9xhzh

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com