[Wikimedia-l] Watchlist email notifications enabled on all wikis

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 23:29:16 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 00:05, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Please, do not enable this feature by default. A lot of people do not
>> like > 10 emails/day in their mailbox, and I have such amount of
>> watchlisted edits even in smaller projects like Meta.
>
> Then turn off the feature.
>
> New users dont know how to turn it on.
>
> The emails can explain how to turn it off.

So the feature sends out one email per watchlist edit?

If so, I can imagine a few users finding themselves with hundreds of
emails before they next checked their mail and saw any opportunity to
switch it off.

Could a site banner be put up just to let users know it's there,
perhaps with a link to a page of explanation about what it does and
how to switch it on? Sounds better to me than risking potential
surprise email barrages.

Bodnotbod