[Wikimedia-l] [Wikipedia-l] Fwd: Harvard Library releases 12M bibliographic records under CC0

Michael Peel michael.peel at wikimedia.org.uk
Thu Apr 26 08:15:10 UTC 2012

On 25 Apr 2012, at 19:29, emijrp wrote:

> 2012/4/25 Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>
>
>> Thanks for sharing, I had read about it on the NYT but nothing was said on
>> license.
>> So now the USA have more open bibliographic data than Germany/Europe? :)
>> lobid.org is a very nice initiative, but other catalog systems have very
>> complex interactions between hundreds or thousands of entities and it's
>> very hard to change the licenses.
>> The main problem is usually deduplication and quality of the records, any
>> information on this for Harvard's data?
>>
>> Mateus Nobre, 25/04/2012 19:44:
>>
>>> Add ALL at Wikisource!
>>>

>> Wikisource? This is only metadata.
>>

> Perhaps it is OK for Wikidata.

A mass dump of all of the information onto Wikisource wouldn't be good - but being able to extract complete bibliographies of specific authors on demand would actually be quite useful for properly building author pages on Wikisource, rather than the current ad-hoc and incomplete lists that currently exist. (With the consequence that bibliographies on Wikipedia could be 'outsourced' to Wikisource, bringing that project much-needed readers and editors).

Thanks,
Mike