[Wikimedia-l] Translations of WMF documents [was: Re: Wikimedia Foundation Report, March 2012 [was: Re: Wikimedia-l Digest, Vol 97, Issue 43]]

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at gmx.de
Fri Apr 13 11:29:24 UTC 2012

Hallo Tilman,

Am 13.04.2012 um 13:01 schrieb wikimedia-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org:

> please find below the WMF report for March 2012, in plain text.

Thanks for publishing the new report.

> Since a few months, we have been publishing a separate "Highlights"
> summary. Please consider helping non-English-language communities to
> stay updated, by providing a translation:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Highlights,_March_2012
> Many thanks to those who translated last month's "Highlights" into
> Danish, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Dutch and
> (partially) Arabic.

We have discussed this on the German Chapter's list recently. Most of those taking part in the discussion opined the Wikimedia Foundation provide translations of its documents into the most important languages. We touched upon the subject as WCA announced it will publish its reports in several languages. Translations should not be left to the community. It is not up to the community to get news from the Foundation, but it is rather up to the Foundation to get its message across to the community. Please note that only a minority of Wikipedians are able to understand your documents published in English. I would be quite grateful if we please could change this.

Regards,
Jürgen.