[Foundation-l] "All human knowledge", by Jimmy Wales (?)

KIZU Naoko aphaia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 19:28:42 UTC 2011

Don't worry emijrp, I guess no German may hit your idea - MySpace
things may be unproblematic omitted in convention: For knowing mere
facts, they don't use this word - it's Kennen or Kenntnis. Not Wissen.

I'd like to add, while German is not my mother tongue, in the German
language "Wissen" is not totally equal to English "knowledge". In
German terminology this word has more systematic, scientific and
metaphysical nuances. Much nearer to science in English - in German
science is Wissenschaft, a derivation of "Wissen".

Wissen has been historically a very rigid notion in German so that
once it was argued soulless object (i.e. human) or a sum of certain
facts could be included into "Wissen". For another example, Hegel even
argued anatomy didn't worth to be called science (Wissenschaft) since
it was a mere sum of empirical fact in Vorrede of Phaenomenologie des
Geistes. MySpace things may be rejected by all German speakers with
their version, I expect.

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 4:01 AM, emijrp <emijrp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that the phrase meaning refered to Wikipedia is "the sum of all
> human knowledge which is notable and encyclopedic".
>
> Not ALL, ALL, ALL human knowledge. MySpace discarded.
>
> 2011/9/16 Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com>
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Today I read on a WMDE driven website:
>>
>> "»Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der das gesamte Wissen der
>> Menschheit jedem frei zugänglich ist. Das ist unser Ziel.«
>> Jimmy Wales"
>>
>> (Imagine a world in which the entire knowledge of mankind is freely
>> accessible to everyone. That is our goal.)
>>
>> I never read that in English. Jimmy Wales actually said: "... the sum
>> of all human knowledge".
>>
>> http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wales
>>
>> And I think that there is a huge difference between "the sum of
>> all..." and "all...". By the way, the traditional encyclopedias
>> described themselves by "the sum of all..."
>>
>> But a number of Wikimedia national organizations seem to have
>> difficulties with Jimmy's phrase. They 'translate' it to "all..." I
>> did not succeed, for example, in explaining to my own national
>> organization why it is wrong what we have on our business cards.
>>
>> Am I the only one seeing a problem here?
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Ziko
>>

>> --
>> Ziko van Dijk