[Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Draft Terms of Use forReview

KIZU Naoko aphaia at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 08:41:32 UTC 2011

Thank you Geoff, Sue and others who are working on. I take this whole
thread as one of good faith fruits and sincere desire on WMF to
collaborate with us at the community as well to help us out.

Well, I however feel double-bound. In the one side I think it good and
appropriate for WMF as a legal entity and users in general,
particularly English speaking people. On the other side I am not sure
how it can be practical for the community, users and people who are
harassed on Wikimedia wikis but have never been a part of community in
case any or extremely every involved party doesn't understand English
and reside out of US jurisdiction.

Based on a fact of our community spreads globally, so differentiated
into over a hundred by jurisdiction and by language,  I have honestly
no idea how ToU available only in English would affect us who are out
of US jurisdiction and don't speak English daily. Even in the proposed
30 day review, it would be nominal for its user majority don't speak
English, unless translations are provided in major languages to the
project as well user base.

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Sue Gardner <sgardner at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 8 September 2011 19:01, Phil Nash <phnash at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> There's a major difference between online harassment, and robust debate,
>> although most of us can tell where we draw our own lines.
>
> Oh yikes, Phil, please don't misunderstand me! The conversations we
> were having were about one or two people who have been repeatedly
> harassing large numbers of Wikimedians for years. I am not talking
> about editors who engage in discussions and get a bit rude; I am
> talking about people who are probably seriously mentally ill.

Unfortunately some names are passing in my mind ... frankly, several.
More than ten. Whoa. And only two of them spoke English fluently iirc,
and all of them are out of the US jurisdiction if we've analyzed given
information correctly. That means, the local communities which have
confronted those kinds of people, many of Wikimedia community member
are not good in English either in many cases.

As said, whilst I welcome to make ToU more detailed and featuring many
issues which the current one misses to mention,  but for facilitating
the community in entire, language barrier issues should be taken more
seriously. Even into few language versions, for example. We need here
make a practical compromise - yes, compromise, since it's obvious
currently we have no way to provide every language. I have never seen
any Wikimedia Foundation information, including fundraising banners,
translated into every language in which Wikipedia at that time was
running since 2004, when I joined the project.

Cheers,

> This is not a backdoor attempt to enforce kindness. We're just trying
> to support and protect editors against really very egregious
> behaviour.
>
> Thanks,
> Sue
>

> --
> Sue Gardner
> Executive Director
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> 415 839 6885 office
> 415 816 9967 cell
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp