[Foundation-l] hiding interlanguage links by default is a Bad Idea, part 2

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 21:22:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:01 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
<cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>> Hoi,
>> The WMF has as its strategy to invest in what has the highest impact. Given
>> limited resources that makes sense. It also means that while philosophically
>> as volunteers we do not have to make such choices, the WMF will and does.
>>
>> It is obvious that depending on your point of view, the choices made by the
>> WMF can be fortunate or less so. You are right that it is not in our mission
>> to make choices, but reality is different. The question is what choices to
>> make and what their likely impact is. This brings you to two competing
>> fundamentals; what has the most effect and what is the period to measure
>> those effects.
>> Thanks,
>>        GerardM
>>

> You are as always, as pellucid as a brick of coal, and totally
> off topic to boot. Please feel welcome to not post comments
> like that again.

I adore the word "pellucid." But Gerard is right: simply put we can't
and don't do everything. We don't make every piece of information
available to every single person in the world -- yet. So what do we
include in our collection, and why, and how do we make it possible for
people to access the stuff we do have?

These are the seemingly simple questions that we've spent 5000943945
F-l messages on discussing this month. And we will doubtless spend
67834920 more in discussing whether future policy on these points
should necessarily derive from past practice, and who gets to decide.

-- phoebe, who is repressing her opaque sarcasm