[Foundation-l] Texts deleted on French Wikisource

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 15:14:24 UTC 2010

On 3 June 2010 15:26, Mike Godwin <mnemonic at gmail.com> wrote:

> It turns out that foreign copyright judgments are more easily enforceable
> against U.S. entities in  United States courts than other kinds of
> judgments, due to the copyright lobby's efforts to shape international
> copyright and enforcement treaties.

Non-US entities can easily send a valid DMCA takedown notice. This is
useful when someone's *ripping your stuff off*, problematic when they
don't have the relevant rights under copyright.

> We made the details of the notice public, as Nathan has already shown.

If you can link in your notifications to a handy guide to contesting a
DMCA takedown notice, that would probably answer the concerns in this
thread. It's clear that people weren't sure if they could re-add
things at all, ever, after a takedown notice, without express WMF
permission. It's clear to you, but not to the non-lawyers who
nevertheless know what a bogus claim copyright is. (And I know the WMF
isn't their lawyer, but I'm sure high-quality guides to contesting
takedown notices exist.)

- d.