[Foundation-l] How to dismantle a language committee

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 15:27:56 UTC 2009

As another historical note from Wikimania 2008 ...

In our session (of mine and Arria Belli) which focused on translation,
a girl who seemed to be Arabic but not known to me from where she came
asked me if there would be a possibility of āmmiyya Wikipedias. I
don't know which āmmiyya she cared for and don't know if she has
joined the Egyptian Arabic. But it could be a sign some literal people
thought it serious ... despites of other folks' questionable attitude.

I am rather inclined to Alsebaey's position. If they think it the best
aim they could achive, just give them a chance and blessings. It won't
ruin other projects at worst, hopefully.

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia-inc.com> wrote:
> Mohamed Magdy wrote:
>> (I heard that people were happy at Wikimania (Florence?)
>> because of that proposal but I fail to understand why the Egyptian people
>> there didn't express their opinion about it (it was in Egypt :!).
>
> I was sitting next to an Egyptian VIP in the front row when the
> announcement was made, and he laughed and indicated that he thought this
> was stupid.
>
> It is not up to me to make any decisions nor have any particular opinion
> about Egyptian, but this is one of many data points that suggest to me
> that the current process is widely regarded as being broken.
>
> --Jimbo

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)