[Foundation-l] Sub-national chapters Q&A

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 01:02:42 UTC 2008

At the risk of revealing my ignorance, I thought that there were other more
significant barriers to creating subnational chapters in the United States.
Filing a tax return is not that difficult, and not always even required at
certain income thresholds (though I gather something has changed in this
regard in the last year or two).

>From your e-mail, Michael, I take it that the formation of a national
Wikimedia chapter in the United States would not be opposed by the Board?
There are many structures such an organization could take in order to limit
the impact of geographic scope, including having subordinate "east" and
"west" units that work under the national umbrella.

Nathan