[Foundation-l] Corporate vanity policy enforcement

Brad Patrick bradp.wmf at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 17:50:23 UTC 2006

> In fact maybe we can beat them to the punch.  Create a verifiable
> neutral article about them *before* they get around to it.

True to your belief everything should be in Wikipedia, Anthony.  I disagree.

> Wikipedia gets what it wants.  The companies get what they want.
> Everyone is happy, except I suppose some people who calculate the
> value of the encyclopedia based on the popularity of the article
> titles.

You have it backward.  Whether we like it or not, people in the world
perceive they aren't somebody unless they are in Wikipedia.  Companies
especially so.  Nobody would argue publicly traded companies, Fortune
500, etc. count, I don't believe.  But walk a mile in our shoes for a
moment.  Every numbskull with letterhead on the planet believing they
have a "right" to have their brother-in-law marketing partner spam us
with corporate schmutz?  Please.

But honestly, where is your line?  What does it take to plunge off the
cliff of oblivion for you before something can be considered non-WP
worthy?