[Foundation-l] Accelerating chapter creation

Łukasz Garczewski tor at oak.pl
Tue Sep 26 10:16:28 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller napisał(a):
> Wikimedia projects exist in over 100 languages. Many of those
> languages are spoken in countries which do not have chapters yet.
>
> Would it be a worthwhile experiment, for every wiki that is in a
> language without a chapter in the country/countries where it is
> spoken, to put a note in the _registered user_ site notice, such as:
>
>  "If you are interested in starting a Wikimedia Foundation chapter in
>   [country/countries], please go to [page on Meta]"?

The idea is nice. But as a chapter president and ChapCom member I'd
strongly advise against it for the time being.

Firstly, from what Tomek told me, there were still some misconceptions
about what a chapter should be (i.e. paid positions, confusion about
chapter-WMFboard interaction, etc.). And please note that all this is
around despite the fact we have a plain and simple (IMO) FAQ on meta. We
either have to make it even plainer and simpler or more prominent in
some way.

Second, sad as it may be, at this time we are not able to handle a
larger group of new chapters and give them all the attention they need.
And there is nothing worst for a new chapter than being put on hold for
a month.

So, the preconditions list should be a bit longer...
5) General trademark agreement ready
6) Clear division of responsibilities within WMF
7) An extremely plain-and-simple "Chapter Creation FAQ", maybe a
step-by-step overview in place

Possibly there is an 8, 9 and 10 I haven't thought about.

However, this is certainly a wonderful idea to be implemented in the not
so distant future. Possibly even since January.

--
Best,
TOR