[Foundation-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Royal Society archives online until December

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 10:08:23 UTC 2006

2006/9/26, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> On 26/09/06, James Hardy <wikimediauk at weeb.biz> wrote:
>
> > Uploading the original PDFs to a publicly accessable website would most
> > likely be a copyright violation, so we wouldn't want to do that anyway.
>

> In the UK, not in the US.
>

> > Another question is what to do about about diagrams (assuming that there are
> > some), I would imagine that if the the RS claims copyright of the scans we
> > can't just extract them and use them. Simple ones I imagine we can (and
> > probably should) convert to SVG, but for more detailed ones, that could be
> > tricky.
>

> So no-one in the UK should do this, but someone in the US may say "you
> claim you own a scan of a diagram from 1720 and no-one else can touch
> it? O rly. Sue and be damned." This is something we would need to be
> *quite* clear that we were or were not going to say ahead of time, of
> course.
>
> (Though put like that, it looks very like the National Portrait
> Gallery issue. Have they ceased the vague attempts at legal
> intimidation after Jimbo indicated Wikimedia's attitude would in fact
> be "sue and be damned"?)
>
> cc: to foundation-l on this issue.

According to my experience as a scientist writing sometimes a review
articles you have to '''always''' ask for permission to use graphs
which are copyrighted or included in a copyrighted publications or
databases. However, the source scientific data which was used for
preparing graph is not a subject of the copyright law, so you can
simply draw a new graph using the data from the original one and put
the citations of a source.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.poli.toya.net.pl