[Foundation-l] Accelerating chapter creation

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 08:59:14 UTC 2006

On 9/26/06, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

Generally it would be worthy to try, since most of editors have no
idea about chapters nor Foundation. And it makes a sense in my opinion
to invite only registered users (see below).

One technical remark, however:
> Unregistered readers would not see this notice.

Not always. If a wiki powered by MediaWiki lacks anonnotice, both
unregistered users and registered get the same message put on
[[MediaWiki:Sitenotice]].
My sketchy touch-n-go during the Election period suggested fourtyeight
of fiftith (so presumably 95 or -6% of our all wikis) of our projects
provide the same message both to anon and registered.

And, possibly, there is a bug/bugs around "global frash" of that and
we need to fix it. I'll later put a report to bugzilla, so here only a
brief remark: 3/50 wikis failed to have their sitenotice frashed and
contained inappropriate messages (two wikimania scholarships, one
-[default blank]). It doesn't work "global messages" in a true sense.

Another considerable thing is those meta-newcomers may need the
description what the chapter is and is not. [[m:Wikimedia Japan]]
seemed to be a horrible example what unknowledgeable & not involved
editors can think out. An anon created this page and later registered
him- or herself as "Wikimedian" (in kana). Until today, most sane and
involved people of Japanese speaking projects seem to avoid being
involved to that discussion.

--
Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org