[Foundation-l] Dreams, goals, and milestones (1 of 3)

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 03:33:43 UTC 2006

On 9/21/06, SJ <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Where is that definition from?  I was using Erik Zachte's definition
> of "active member", as used in a half dozen presentations on Wikipedia
> -- ~80k editors with over 5 edits in the past month... 210k with over
> 10 edits in all.  I think "100k active editors" is accurate, though
> perhaps "200k contributors" would be better.

It's one I came up with recently.  Five edits in a month is not a good
measure of "community".  400 edits lifetime and 100 edits a year shows
more of a commitment to a project than five edits in a month, which
could easily be a driveby editor who does not hang around.  I'm
considering running another stats run at 100 lifetime and 25 per year,
since I think the higher number shortchanges the community size of
smaller projects.  (Almost half of our projects have no active editors
by the 400/100 standard.)

Kelly