[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Sep 21 18:03:48 UTC 2006

Anthony wrote:
> On 9/21/06, oscar <oscar.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> it is my conviction that for the future, more than "just" translations for
>> elections (i take them as an example of a bigger thing to consider here) are
>> mandatory to evercome this *gap in culture*. (a point of attention for the
>> board retreat imho)
>>
>> oscar
>>

> A reasonable conclusion.  In trying to think of a solution, I found
> myself searching for a precedent of a truly international/global
> direct election.  I couldn't think of any.  Can anyone else?

The Debian project organizes itself largely around direct elections, and
has a pretty international base of voters.  They do only let official
Debian developers vote, though, which is maybe more like if we only let
admins vote in our elections.

They do seem to be moderately successful at it.  I don't recall much
controversy about the nationalities of project leaders---disputes about
the direction of the project and technical issues play a much bigger
role in voting than whether someone comes from the same country as you.

-Mark