[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

oscar oscar.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 08:12:51 UTC 2006

yesterday a friend of mine gave me this (script-generated) counting of votes
cast over the languages in the various projects so far:
(this is no final result, one can count this oneself from
[[Special:Boardvote/list]])

english - 1003
german - 320
french - 124
dutch - 101
spanish - 89
finnish - 52
italian - 48
japanese - 38
portuguese - 37
norwegian - 30
turkish - 28
commonswiki - 26
(rest less than 25)

for example, the few amount of voters on ja: is striking, in view of the
size of the project.
in general, the 4 biggest voting languages are all west-european (over a
hundred votes each).
i think can we draw from this the conclusion that various projects are
concerned with "international affairs" rather differently each in its own
way, the size of a language project or community not being a yardstick for
its international engagement and involvement.
it also means that just having access to the english voters is quite enough
to win, they are by far the largest contingent.

it is my conviction that for the future, more than "just" translations for
elections (i take them as an example of a bigger thing to consider here) are
mandatory to evercome this *gap in culture*. (a point of attention for the
board retreat imho)

oscar