[Foundation-l] Citizendium, a new venture, will "fork" off from online encyclopedia Wikipedia

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 09:01:34 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, Daniel Arnold <arnomane at gmx.de> wrote:

> One reason is: The ideas of Sanger are similar to the spirit of the fork of
> the german language Wikipedia and thus people have had some experience on
> such more "elitist" forks there. That de.wikipedia fork couldn't keep
> momentum although these people are highly skilled and knew exactly what they
> want to achieve and were really passionate about it. But despite the
> usual "we dislike us each other rantings" that fork did help de.wikipedians
> concentrating at least a little bit more on quality and content and not
> meta-discussions as the critics in themselves weren't completely fetched out
> of thin air but de.wikipedia started walking a completely different solution
> path than they did.

I think I knew the German folk you mentioned ... if so, interestingly
some editors who left dewiki and joined the folk have been still
staying on Wikimedia project as a whole, not nominal parts, but very
active members on some particular projects, either German other
projects or rather international ones including Wikimedia Commons.

Diversity and stimulation from it are always our source of energy
either inside or outside.

> So we should consider that Citizendium fork as helpful competition and not
> regard this as enemy or something we should ignore or even denying the
> Citizendium fork competence (this would be the most dangerous for us).
>
> Citizendium will help us focusing ourselves on *content* (!) and on quality
> improvements, although we have a different approach than they have.
>
> Let us start now happy competiting and keeping the momentum in Wikipedia,
> Wikisource, Wikimedia Commons, Wikinews, Wikibooks, Wiktionary...!

Agreed.
--
Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org