[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 16:37:36 UTC 2006

--- Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> However, I believe that thinking that the Foundation
> has to do all of
> this is taking the problem by the wrong end.
>
> If "the community" of Wikimedia projects is to be
> represented in the
> board of the Foundation, it should be "the
> community" of Wikimedia
> projects that takes itself by the hand(s) and makes
> this happen, not
> the other way around.
>
> We've seen that the "Foundation" doing anything
> invariably leads to
> mild or fierce accusations of "the Foundation"
> wanting to take over,
> rule and what not. Well, maybe if *we* the
> community, proposed the
> organisation (the Foundation) with a comprehensive
> way to go about
> this, showing that *we* the community, have
> understood what's at stake
> on an organisational level, things could change for
> the better.
>
> Therefore, Birgitte, I believe you are asking the
> right questions, but
> the wrong way around, and therefore coming to the
> wrong conclusions. I
> believe for my part that this is, as of today, quite
> beyond the
> capability of the community.
>
> Delphine
> --
> ~notafish

Maybe you are right Deplhine.  I just don't see this
proposal being developed in this direction currently.
I don't believe it will be effective either way.  Just
another layer of unneeded bureaucracy.   But I am
tired of being negative, so feel free to prove me
wrong.  But maybe I will change my mind by the time
the community is capable of managing your vision
anyways.

Birgitte SB