[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Sep 18 15:33:08 UTC 2006

Kelly Martin wrote:
> Actually, the translation issue is a very strong argument against
> direct election of Board members.  Indirect election, via elected
> delegates at each project (or other appropriate grouping), would avoid
> much of this issue.  It would also curtail the "popularity effect" of
> enwiki -- we could use a diminishing-returns allocation of delegates
> to minimize the "hulking gorilla" effect that enwiki otherwise has on
> popular polling within Wikimedia.

Without endorsing any specific proposal, I would like to second this
concept.  We want the board to always remain firmly a creature of the
community, but direct election may not be the best way to really achieve
that.  There are many methods we might better use to draw expertise from
the community in a more broadly representative fashion.

My prediction for the future is a much larger board which is much less
involved in day-to-day management, a board which supplies stability of
ultimate governance and adherence to principles, and a management drawn
largely (though perhaps not completely, esp. for particular professional
services) from the community.

--Jimbo