[Foundation-l] Last minute media alert: Wikimedia on ABC's Nightline tonight

Jeffrey V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Sep 13 05:03:04 UTC 2006

Kat Walsh wrote:

>US Wikimedians (and anyone who can get ABC): there will be a story
>about Wikimedia on ABC's Nightline tonight; those who were at
>Wikimania may remember seeing them filming. No, I don't know the focus
>of the story, but I'd be surprised if it were entirely rosy, given the
>show's usual fare. Check your local listings...
>
>(I was one of many interviewed for it and have no idea what they'll use.)
>
>-Kat
>who has to go find a TV set now

They started off "The Know-it-Alls and Can They be Believed".

Cynthia McFadden implies Wikipedia is "not serious", but "Wikipedia is
becoming a force" was a strong message.

They only claimed it supports "nine other languages".

"Glaring shortcomings" were emphasized and "Wikiality", Wales rebounded
majestically (except he ground his teeth when it was mentioned
ABC news did not consider it reliable).

4.3 seconds of coverage of Kat, but she did great.

Overall was VERY positive tone and coverage. There's no such thing as
bad publicity.

Jeff