[Foundation-l] Logo Contests

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 21:07:58 UTC 2006

--- Nicholas Moreau <nicholasmoreau at gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason I suggested multiple languages is because
> this seems harder to
> achieve than broad consensus. Thus if it's harder to
> start a logo contest,
> there's less chance of them starting when they're
> not needed. Although I'm
> not complaining, the selection of my illustration
> for the Wikisource logo
> was thanks to the German Wikipedia's approval vote.
> The English vote was
> still in a state of complete indecision.

I just want to correct one thing here.  There was no
logo contest at the English Wikisource.  The logo
contest was going through difficulties.  So a poll was
started in many of the Wikisource subdomains (de en es
fr he it ja pl) on whether we should change the logo
at all.  "Wikisources' logo is discussed. Now is maybe
the time for change, shall we keep it as is, or launch
a redesign process? please give your input on the
whole affair"  The English poll was inconclusive, but
this was not a logo approval vote.  Other subdomains
had conclusive polls in favor of going forward with
the logo contest, but this did not happen.  The german
wikisource forced the whole issue.  And someone spoke
to developers and had the logo changed without
notifing the various communities.

I do not have a problem with change.  If someone can
convince a developer to make such a change then they
have good reasons.  The thing I really dislike about
what happened is that people on the pt.WS and probably
others thought en.WS had changed their project without
getting any input.  I dislike that a community I am a
part of gets the blame for other people doing a poor
job of international relations.  I also dislike the
fact that non-english speakers had to find out about
the new logo in this way.  I would not enjoy being in
their position and having the whole site just change
one day.  I hope this does not happen with the curent
logo contests.

Birgitte SB