[Foundation-l] Logo Contests

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 12:02:34 UTC 2006

> On 11/09/06, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for the warning. I'll just say again what I've said a
> > thousand times. What is it about the Wikimedia logo that is so grand
> > that people seem to be stuck with it and its colors?
> > Did imagination stop with the puzzleball? Are all those other projects
> > not great enough that they deserve their very own identity?
>

> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/International_logos_%28overview%29
>
> is a good example of why graphic designers are paid money.

To be fair, one should look at the finalists in that contest:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/International_logo_vote/Finalists

Of course, the logo that actually won was the, um, raw version of the
puzzle sphere idea, which has made me somewhat wary of community logo
contests. Nohat saved the day by providing us with a beautiful
implementation of that concept in the last minute.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik