[Foundation-l] Can a wikimedia-b list be setup

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Sep 6 20:05:00 UTC 2006

Pat Gunn wrote:

>Given that our community is motivated by ideology (not a bad thing --
>idealism is an underestimated thing in today's world), we need to
>be extra careful to not let our goals fall astray.

I share with you my views and observations of the current "We" and where
it should be opened to embrace
a broader view of humanity.

Patt, I've managed people and companies for about 20 years, and have had
upwards of 500+
people reporting directly to me at various stages of my career. There
are three things that
motivate human beings I have always seen true in my 46 years on planet
earth in career and
life advancement.

Knowledge, Power and Money.

In essense, they are all actually the same thing with regard to the end
result. What people truly desire
in life is FREEDOM to pursue their pursuits of pleasure and their
dreams. For many people, money is freedom
because is gives them security. For others, power is freedom because it
gives them the feeling they have control
over their lives and the lives of others. For a very very small minority
of people, knowledge and the pursuit of
enhancing their intellect and skill gives them the greatest freedom of
all - the power to mould their own destiny
and create new avenues of endeavor on the frontiers of human knowledge.
I personally am in the third
group, and have in my life experienced a freedom few people will ever
know because my skill and knowledge I cultivate
above all else, and power, money and freedom have been the reward --
things I never sought for themselves.

In business, anytime I ran across a person who was solely motivated by
power and not money, I fired them
at the first opportunity. I did so because my experience has taught me
that people who are motivated by power
and other intangible ideals are dangerous to organizations and
collective efforts and will always put themselves
and their self-serving desires above the good of the whole. People who
are motivated by money are very
predictable and easy to manage and are solid contributors to any
organizations success. Their patterns
are inherently easy to anticipate and accomodate.

By giving people the chance to express power over others with admin
status, etc. a large majority of the current
community are in this first group and are there for the power and
control aspect over Wikipedia's direction by
either oppressing others or combining into a cohesive front. There are
also a lot of folks who are there solely
for the benefit of knowledge and increasing their skill. Almost none of
the folks in the class motivated my money
are even present or represented. They exist outside of the community.

My observation of the community is that it is comprised of folks
motivated by the pursuit of pure knowledge, and
those motivated by desire for power and to use it as a platform for
various platforms. What I am talking about
is balancing its composition to embrace an element that is currently
absent. An element to concert it into something
that will endure as an institution into the far future.

So when I hear words like "corrupt", "motivated by ideology" all these
things mean "motiviated by power" to me,
and not the collective work of moving an organization into a positive
growth model for long term stability and
financial health. "Show them the door" is exactly what I would do with
any employee I hired who evidenced
power motivated behavior, using your words.

There's room for everyone and none should be discarded, all have value
and Wikipedia says its mission is to reach the
whole world. That means it should embrace the whole world. Including the
missing element in the community at present,
which is a healthy and vibrant business community within it. The power
motivated folks can still be admins in the Community
and other positions of power. The Knowlege pursuers can still edit and
stand with a foot in both worlds. And the Money people
can find new and innovative ways to improve processes and contribute to
avenue which will in fact reach the whole world.

All my love,

Jeff