[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Youth Camp?

Scott Zager archmagusrm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 00:30:38 UTC 2006

I think that is an absolutely wonderful idea.  The free culture has greatly
affected me for about four years now (I'm 17 at the moment).  Initially it
was just that I didn't have a job, so I didn't have the money to pay for
anything.  But eventually I got caught up in the spirit and philosophy of
the whole thing.

Besides myself, I personally know quite a number of others that have had
similar experiences.  The prime example being Wikipedia.  A youth festival
type event, I believe, would harness the attention of many that timidly use
and participate in the free culture to immerse themselves more into the
projects.

The FSF has also come to attention of many youths (including myself).  I
cannot tell you the satisfaction I feel when I tell somebody that Linux or
any other GPL'd software is not only free in price, but free as in liberty.
It sparks quite a discussion about the entire philosophy of free information
and a free culture.

A festival targeted for the youth would definitely be rewarding to both
those who attend and the community.

--
-Scott Zager