[Foundation-l] How not to manage opensource project

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 15:32:37 UTC 2006

On 03/09/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Does it mean that the foundation is involved in every little decision?
> > Of course not, but that is not what "governs" and "manages" means.

> I think... governing and managing have a significant different sens in
> english and french.

Apart from all else, they're related but different languages. So the
words "govern" and "manage" may appear to mean the same thing in both
(adjusting to each other's spelling conventions) but not. So if the
French readers are reading the words "governing" and "managing" and
thinking they have the French meaning when they don't, then all they
need to do is ASSUME BAD FAITH and then we get pages like that one.

Note that errors of translation combine badly with assumption of bad
faith. Wikimedia has had blowups recently caused by precisely this.
And I blame the groundless assumptions of bad faith.

- d.