[Foundation-l] How not to manage opensource project

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 11:48:44 UTC 2006

On 9/3/06, Elisabeth Bauer <elian at djini.de> wrote:
> I'm thinking here for example of cases like the quran quote in the site
> notice of the urdu wikipedia. If the community in a wiki acts against
> the core principles of Wikimedia, for example violates the neutrality,
> it needs someone external to set it right. Of course this is something
> which could also be done by the international community except that this
> is not a body with any authority but a bunch of loosely connected
> individuals with diverse opinions.

There are various ways that could be handled from the bottom up.

> And in rare cases, it should be - or the foundation decides to delegate
> these cases to a "Wiki Emergency response team" (WERT ;-) which takes
> care of cases like
> * HELP, all sysops of our Wikipedia are quitting and there is a big
> fight over the ban of an editor!!!

Doing nothing would probably be the best option there. You don't have
nearly enough data to act upon.

> * Why disturb readers of our Wiki with a sitenotice about some
> irrelevant board elections? Let's rather display the football results there

Readers? Tell them about anonnotice.

> * We want to know more about our readers - let's just record every page
> view on an external logfile via the global javascript...

That one falls within the purview of the devs who most people will listen to.

> This team could take over the task individual board members do now: find
> out what's going on, talk to the involved parties, try to moderate
> conflicts and find solutions.

No thank you we've got enough people claiming to act with the
authority of the foundation already.

> Could you be a bit less cryptic here, please, and explain what you are
> refering to?

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior

Someone took a copy to a print on demand publisher who offered it for sale.

--
geni