[Foundation-l] How not to manage opensource project

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 3 06:10:24 UTC 2006

As ever I am in profound sympathy with Anthere's analyses, if only
because I believe that she is one whose views have been shaped by the
principles that underlay the development of Wikipedia, and not by the
vagaries that accompany unrestricted growth.

Jimbo has been the inspiration without which this process would never
have succeded.  His tireless role as spokesfather has resulted in a
popularity for Wikipedia that knows few rivals. and all that growth has
evolved from a few fundamental concepts into a daughter of whom he can
be justly proud.  This precocious daughter has grown faster than anyone
might have expected; she has been exposed to ideas that were not put
there by her father.  That makes it more difficult for a father to
protect that daughter to the extent that he believes she should be.  As
the long list of suitors lines up at the door the uncertainty grows.
The best solution then will be to trust her to carry on with the values
that he taught her, and that she will someday let him hold the
grandchildren.

I do not view Jimbo as a person captivated by details, or as one who
could sit at length unravelling legal minutiae, or as a person who could
dwell on the niceties that distinguish between "help and support" and
"manage and govern".  Other people do.  That range of visions goes from
the seemingly anarchic view that a few principles stand above all else
to the other extreme that attaches priority to a well run and well
organized machinery.  Together they must find the neutral point that
works best with all the appropriate checks and balances.  Such a theme
and such a dynamic has been at the heart of all the major internal
disputes that Wikipedia has faced.

Governance for the kind of entity that has built up brings us into a lot
of uncharted territory.  There are no guidelines for such a massive
loosely connected organism that spans almost the entire world.  Imposing
a paternalistic corporate structure is not going to do much for assuring
and trusting that it can evolve an appropriate form of governance.

Ec