[Foundation-l] Commons content reuse how-to?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Sep 2 14:08:25 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:
> There is [[Commons:Licensing]], which seems mainly to be for
> contributors. But is there a page on Commons that is a simple guide to
> people wanting to reuse content? If not, should there be? Is there a
> page anywhere else that serves this purpose?

There isn't, as far as I know.  There should be, though we should make
clear that we're providing informal/nonlegal guidelines that we think
(but don't guarantee) explain the requirements for reusers, because we
don't really have the authority to provide official interpretations of
licenses we didn't write.

Unofficial guidelines for the major licenses we use would be useful,
though---often the problem isn't so much the legal details, as the
potential reuser not even knowing in broad terms what the reuse
requirements are (for example, which licenses are copyleft ones and
which aren't?).

-Mark