[Wikimedia-in-blr] India Education Program - way forward!

Nitika ntandon at wikimedia.org
Thu Nov 10 11:32:09 UTC 2011

Hey everyone,

We are currently in the planning process to figure out how we can take the India Education Program (IEP) forward i.e. what can we do better in the next semester, avoid some of the fall outs we had during this semester, making sure we have a good number of campus ambassadors and online ambassadors to handhold students,  etc. etc. One of the other decisions we have to make is whether (a) we continue the program only in Pune (b) do we continue the program in Pune and start the program in one more city. If we go with option (b) we also need to figure out which city it would be?

If at all, we're thinking of launching the program in one of the metropolitan cities (Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai) as we'll find better quality of schools/students/professors from these cities. Apart from several other determinants one of the most important factors to answer 'which city it would be?' is to figure out how many existing wikipedians from each of these cities would be able to volunteer as Campus Ambassadors for the IEP.

I would like to ask you all (existing wikipedians) if you'd be willing and able to volunteer for the IEP during the school hours (9am -4pm) from Mon -Fri. Main role of CAs is to co-ordinate with professors, conduct in-class presentations for students, introduce students to wikipedia, conduct editing workshops in classes, take refresher sessions in classes etc etc. As you'll notice most of the work that a CA is required to do takes place during working hours and not over the weekends or not in the evenings after working hours.

So for us to take this decision of 'which city it would be', we'd like to know how many of you would be able to actively contribute towards IEP as Campus Ambassadors if we do launch the program in your city. Here is a link to a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/a/wikimedia.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtsrCZ_fInBPdGx0X3pacXNkNmRDbmxTRFQxSm1feVE&hl=en_US#gid=0 that you can fill in. Please note that there are different sheets for Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai. Please put in your names here if you'd like to volunteer as CAs and also mention how many working hours during  a week will you be able to volunteer. I have added another sheet named 'Additional Comments' if you'd like to discuss some more thoughts/ideas/suggestions/criticism etc.

It will be great if you could fill in this sheet by 14th Nov, Monday 9am IST.

Thank you so very much for taking out time to read my long mail and helping us out with the India Education Program.

Thanks
Nitika