[Wikimedia-california] Software, hardware, Maker Faire, West Coast Wikipedia Day, Officers (was Re: ... created!)

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Wed May 5 18:07:09 UTC 2010

Jon,

There are still several volunteer mentors who didn't get slots, either.  If
you go by Google's compensation amounts for Summer of Code, mentoring is
supposed to take no more than 1/10 full time, but it may be better to hire
multiple mentors to work on patches for Mediawiki's bugzilla queue while
they each mentor 3 to 5 students.

I should mention that Sara Crouse encouraged me to support the California
Chapter when I was trying to encourage (1) specific developments, before I
realised the GSoC was coming up so soon, and (2) a National Science
Foundation grant which could probably suppport at least six full-time
chapter staff and more than ten contract programmers, including students:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Village_pump_(miscellaneous)/Archive_23&oldid=338511405

The Foundation was too busy to apply for that, but if the Chapter were to
succeed in obtaining it, we could probably do everything that's been
discussed, including annual Wikipedia Day conference hosting and Maker Faire
presense, without costing the Foundation anything. And as you can see, it's
completely congruent with the initial Chapter goals that Geoff set forth
years ago.

In any case, whether we are able to secure external funding or not, chapters
are expected to submit grant proposals per:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_chapters/WMF_grants

There are only 10 days remaining for the nominal proposal deadline, so I
would like to have all of the possibilities we have been discussing in
seperate chapter grant applications, and a proposed set of Articles of
Incorporation and Bylaws ready by this time next week.

I will try to to that, because the only other outstanding action item I have
is the 1-page instruction sheet handout for the MakerFairePedia notecards.

That reminds me, Jon, please don't forget the Maker Faire sign-up wikitable;
that is almost a month late.

Regards,
James