[Wikimania-l] Stroopwafels

Harel Cain harel.cain at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 07:29:00 UTC 2011

Kosher stroopwafels would mean for example that every single ingredient is
kosher - that the milk is cow's milk and was not mixed with any kind of
other milk, that the various additives and chemicals are not somehow made
from pork fat (or any other non-kosher animal), that the various machines
and tools were not used earlier for meat processing, and even that the
stroopwafel was not made on Shabbat.

So it's more than the simple rule of mixing dairy with meat.

People who really keep kosher (Orthodox Jews) would look for the kosher
certification on basically any kind of food they eat (except maybe for fresh
fruit and vegetables).

People who keep kosher more "lightly" might make do with the knowledge that
the stroopwafel recipe is per-se kosher, and would eat stroopwafels that are
not kosher certified.

Harel